Why This Session? Duration: 1 day
Today almost everyone is involved with projects, because projects are the method for effective organizational change. But for many people, the discipline of project management is still a complex, jargon-filled practice that only indoctrinated professionals apply. The truth is, every one of us practices the most important elements of project management activities somewhere in our lives. Perhaps it is in the workplace; maybe at home; or just the last time you planned a vacation.
This session relates the most important and most useful aspects of project management to events in everyday life, explaining the jargon, and helping you transition your role from initiate to change agent in the aspects of project management that most affect your daily work.
This session achieves its mission in part by applying the insights and methods of WinProj, our universal Enterprise Project Management methodology.
Learning Objectives; after this session, participants will be able to …
- Explain how Projects differ from other work efforts.
- Identify the key steps in starting (Initiating) any project.
- Structure the work of a project Phase while getting help from others.
- Get things done through others, even when they are not under your control.
- Use a consistent process to determine and communicate the priority of multiple projects.
- Estimate effort and duration of individual work assignments, while communicating the factors that affect those estimates.
- Schedule the project using Calendars and Gantt Charts, and explain the advantages of each.
- Track and control the project’s progress, while reporting status to those who need to know.
- Close each Phase and close the Project successfully; and demonstrate you have done so.
This session is for everyone who spends time on project work, especially those who are new to projects, and who must balance project efforts with other ongoing workplace responsibilities. The topics are those that will help beginning project practitioners the most, and they apply the same processes, terminology and techniques we use in our other Learning Experiences. Thus you can join the tens of thousands of people on five Continents who ProjectExperts have helped improve their PM Competences.
While this session does benefit from the efficient and effective PM methods of WinProj, our Minimum Enterprise PM Method, it is also highly useful for all organizations that have not yet licensed WinProj. And, this and our other Learning Experiences support both the PM Institute’s PMBOK Guide and IPMA’s Individual Competence Baseline for Project Managers.